317 Martin Street, Nieu-Bethesda, 6286
Phone: +27 82 877 8053 or +27 82 805 2693
BOOK NOW/CHECK AVAILABILITY
During our guests’ sojourn in Nieu-Bethesda, we would love our guests to savour what the village and
The Bethesda have on offer and to treasure the experiences upon departure.
In February 2019 Ludolf and Carla Smit bought a property with the aim to relocate to the ‘platteland’ (countryside). During the next few months they frequented auctions and markets, researched linen and amenities, planned gas and grey water systems, stocked up on coffee beans and tiles and then relocated from Johannesburg to the quiet Karoo to live their dream. Their luxury guesthouse and pizzeria are in the village of Nieu-Bethesda, near Graaff-Reinet in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
After the initial extensive renovations to the 4000 m² premises, Ludolf and Carla now spend their time harvesting and processing fruit and veggies from their garden, making pizzas and beds, directing the flow of furrow water, serving guests and are continuously renovating and maintaining their business premises.
The rat race has been exchanged for village life – which is not as quiet as one would presume. Regular bands trek through the village and perform impromptu on a stoep; wine tastings, art exhibitions, mountain bike races, classical soirees and star gazing are all regular events on the village calendar. Add to this the weekly social gathering of all the farmers and villagers at the local Sports Club, church meets and eats, festivals including the annual ‘Pumpkin Festival’, the ‘Boere Rally’ motorcycle ride and the annual ‘Garlic Festival’. Life is certainly not less busy in the countryside.
At The Bethesda we offer luxury accommodation in tranquil surrounds. Set in the heart of Nieu-Bethesda village on sprawling grounds, one is met by an expansive ‘stoep’ (verandah) facing the formal rose garden.
Natural wooden floors lead to the spacious interior and charming en-suite rooms with its custom designed and sourced furniture and textiles. Large windows, high ceilings and solid walls provide a cool refuge in summer and a warm haven in winter.
All our rooms are individually decorated, expressing Karoo chic with classic style, and open out onto the garden. Comfort and detail are of the utmost importance with extra length king size beds, crisp white percale linen and towels, high quality amenities and robes and slippers.
Our team is ready to welcome and serve guests with warm Karoo hospitality.
BOOK NOW/CHECK AVAILABILITY
The Bethesda offers luxury accommodation and our pricing is
inclusive of a complete hospitality experience:
- A complimentary refreshment on arrival
- A full English breakfast daily
- Tea & filter coffee amenities and rusks
- Extra length beds in either king size or twin setup
- Bathrooms equipped with both a shower and a bath
- White percale linen and plush towels
- Bath robes, slippers and luxury bathroom amenities
- Complimentary standard Wi-Fi
- Daily housekeeping service
- Fans in summer and heaters and electric blankets in winter
- Outdoor seating
- Non-smoking venue, but one could smoke outside
- Secure parking
- General support and guidance during your stay
Classic R1 120
De Luxe R1 440
Premier R1 650
Applicable to children under 12 years
• Please take note that check-out time is at 10h00 AM and check-in time is from 14h00 PM
• All confirmed bookings are to be paid in full within seven (7 ) days of confirmation
• Rates quoted in South African Rands (ZAR) are per night, per room based on two persons occupying the room
• Our single rate is 75% of our double room rate
• Children 0 - 12 years pay 50% of our rate; children 13 - 18 years pay 100% of our rate
• During peak season in December/ January peak season rates are applicable as well as a minimum stay of two nights
LETS GET IN TOUCH
The Bethesda Guesthouse
317 Martin Street (opposite the tennis courts)
082 877 8053 or 082 805 2693
BOOK NOW/CHECK AVAILABILITY
Port Elizabeth International Airport is the nearest airport to Nieu-Bethesda – just over 300 kilometres. From here one can hire a vehicle or one could arrange a private transfer.
From the N9 two roads lead to Nieu-Bethesda:
We suggest that you travel with the tarred road
A gravel road leads off the N9, 60km south off Middelburg (the furthest north of the two roads). It leads through Bethesda Road railway siding to the village and is about 31km in distance. Once descending into the village, keep straight until the T-junction and then turn right into Hudson Street. Follow Hudson street until the four way stop and then right into Martin Street
The second road to the village is mainly tarred and is 27km north of Graaff-Reinet. The first 20 kilometres are tarred, and after the sharp hairpin bend the road becomes a gravel road for about another four kilometres. When the road forks, keep right, pass through Sam’s Drift where the road is paved, pass “Tot Hier toe” road stall. This road becomes Martin Street
The Bethesda is situated in Martin Street, opposite the tennis courts. It is in the same street where one can locate The Owl House
- There is no filling station in Nieu-Bethesda
- There are no ATM’s or banks in Nieu-Bethesda and many restaurants and shops only accept cash
- Fill up one’s tank and wallet beforehand
- Die Winkel sells crisps, ice, cold drinks, groceries, wood, etc, but not wine nor luxuries
“Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit.
Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.”
- Saint Francis de Sales